I have always enjoyed trying to make the indulgent foods a little bit healthier. On the food Network on of the best shows to watch for that was “Not My Momma’s Meals.” The host Bobby Deen is the son of Paula Deen. He grew up eating his mothers amazing, but incredibly unhealthy food. Her favorite ingredients were a lot of fats and sugars. His theme of the show was to take her recipes and make them healthier to fit more in his active lifestyle. He wanted to enjoy his mothers home cooking without all of the calories and fat associated with it. One of my favorite recipes that he made healthier was his mothers fried chicken. His representation of the recipe calls for corn flakes instead of normal breading, low fat buttermilk, egg whites, and baking instead of frying. When i cook the recipe i usually use chicken breasts instead of the thigh meat that it calls for, I find that this method of cooking keeps the chicken breast very moist. I hope you enjoy this as much as we do, and remember to always stay hungry.
Bobby Dean’s Unfried Chicken Recipe
- 4 skinless and boneless Chicken Breasts
- 1/4 cup low-fat Buttermilk
- 2 Tablespoon Franks Hot Sauce
- 2 Egg Whites
- Zest and Juice of 1 Lemon
- 1 1/4 cups Cornflake crumbs
- Ground Black Pepper
- Garlic Powder
- Mix together buttermilk, hot sauce, egg whites, and lemon and juice in a large plastic bowl or tupperware. Add chicken breasts and refrigerate for at least an hour.
- Preheat the oven to 375 degrees F. Heat a large sized frying pan with a metal handle to medium high heat with olive oil.
- Take chicken breasts out of the buttermilk mixture, season with salt pepper and garlic powder.
- Pour the cornflake crumbs into another large bowl. Dip the chicken into the crumbs, pressing to adhere, and then place in the skillet. Sear on the first side until golden brown, flip over and put the skillet into the oven.Bake until an instant read thermometer reads 165 degrees F, about 35-40 minutes.
With this i served brussel sprouts seasoned with salt and pepper, roasted at 400 degrees F for about 20 min until there is a nice char on the outside. As well as, shredded green cabbage seasoned with salt and toasted sesame oil (this was a recipe that i had learned from one of my old coworkers, its so simple and so delicious).
For the full original recipe visit http://www.foodnetwork.com/recipes/bobby-deen/unfried-chicken-recipe.html