Tip Tuesday: 11/22/16
With the holidays coming up I thought I would share some of the tips that i have learned on how to make the perfect smooth and butter mashed potatoes. Here the five tips that will guarantee for the perfect whipped potatoes:
- The best potatoes to use for making mashed potatoes are Yukon Gold and Russet, or the combination of both.
- With any starchy vegetable its best to cover them with cold water and then bring to a boil.
- When cooking starch such as potatoes or pasta it is best to salt the cooking water generously, because starch is absorbent and will take on the seasoning of the water.
- Heat the cream and butter, it makes it easier to mix them with the potatoes. I usually heat them together so they can be evenly distributed.
- Do not overwork the potatoes! When potatoes are overworked they release their gluten, making them gummy. To keep this from happening, this is where my previous tip on the potato ricer will come in handy. The ricer will give you the perfect mash on the first try, and all you have to do from there is mix in the cream and butter until the desired consistency.